Sunday, October 17, 2021

The week ending on October 15





I hope you all had a relaxing weekend. This weekend, I practiced my pandemic skill. Don't laugh, but I spent way too much time since Feb 2020 watching influencers on YouTube and Instagram turn thrifted clothing finds into trendy fashion items and have managed to convince myself that I can do the same. With my trusty IKEA sewing machine, I have altered sleeves, necklines, and hemlines in a sometime successful bid to update old clothing items. Some of my transformations can actually be worn in public with only a minimal amount of embarrassment at my still developing skill set. Others have been what some call, "A Beautiful Whoops!" On the bright side, I have finally reached the stage where I can say that I know what I don't know. When I started this journey, I was too ignorant of my own lack of sewing knowledge to even know what I didn't know, so that's progress. I'm curious. What pandemic skills did you pick up? I'd love to read your comments below. 

I'm altering my Eagle shirt. Changed the crew neck to a V neck
and the boy sleeves to cap sleeves. Haven't decided if I will wear this or add it to the Beautiful Whoops pile. 


 Meet the VIP



I play video games at home like Batman and Roblox. I am really good at playing them. I got really far in the Batman game. I would continue on the main story, but last time it got too hard and it wasn't fun anymore. One time, my sister and I played ArK. It's a survival game with dragons and dinosaurs.

 

I love to eat pizza. Pineapple does not belong on pizza even though Miss Rotz says it most definitely does belong on pizza. No fruit should be on pizza. BBQ pizza tastes great. My mom orders it from Dominos and sometimes from Pizza Hut.

 

I share my home with two cats. My orange cat named Navi likes to eat a lot. She likes to nap a lot. Navi likes to walk past the other cat, Alice, and hiss at her. Also, Navi steals Alice's food. One time when we were living in Florida, we had to put Navi in another room just so we could feed Alice. We gave Alice a special treat, but we knew Navi would want it, so we had to put her in another room. Alice watches Navi eat and waits for him to leave.


Here's what we did this week:

Remote learning: If your child needs to stay home for any reason, (s)he can login to class remotely via TEAMS. Open the TEAMS app, go to calendar, and click onto Remote Learning Meeting for that day. Do let me know via email or text if you plan on having your child attend this way so that I know to login from class. A few students have already taken advantage of this remote option. Obviously, the Remote Learning Meeting is optional. If your child is too ill for class, please let them rest. However, for those able to attend class remotely, they are marked present.



MATH
  • Represent word problems with multiplication equations.
  • Solve equations using drawings/diagrams to support or explain thinking
  • Write and solve equations with unknown factors or products
    Kyle has been practicing her basic multiplication tables. She's ready
    to help friends with their twos!


LITERACY
  • Composing personal introductions
  • Compile list of questions to use as writing prompts
  • Explored Lexia,an online reading resource
Ben earns a certificate for completing a unit in Lexia.
Good job, Ben!


NO FUN FRIDAY As students know, there is absolutely no fun at all in third grade.We focus on having no fun on Fridays with guided drawing lessons. This week, we drew Frankenstein's monster. Ephrata's monster is featured here. She assures me she had absolutely no fun at all completing this drawing so successfully ;-)



Fall party-Covid restrictions prevent us from hosting our annual fall party. However, thanks to Mrs. Wulbert, innovative thinking, we will be having a No Fun Fall Celebration of sorts on October 29th. While parent volunteers will not be allowed this year (hoping next year is different) parents can help by donating supplies for a special fall holiday themed day. We will be learning about four different autumn holidays including Dia de los Muertos, Diwali, Mid Autumn Festival, and of course, Halloween. An Amazon wish list link will be emailed home in a few days. More details to follow.





I enjoyed meeting you all to discuss your wonderful children. This truly is a marvelous mob of mischievous miscreants. :-) I am blessed to be their teacher. Meeting their parents to talk about this delightful bunch was the highlight of my week. Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.


No comments:

September 25-29

  ¨Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and  listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in  books, for th...