You've probably heard a lot about the Common Core Standards. These standards are based in part on eight mathematical practices. In third grade, we talk a lot about these eight practices that brilliant mathematicians use in their work. Today, we put Math Practice #7 (MP 7) to work. This practice is written, "Look for and make use of structure." In third grade, we define that as using what we DO know to help us figure out what we DON'T yet know.
Today that practice came to light with something called the Fives Short Cut. This strategy helps us use what we do know, our fives times tables, to help us solve math problems that we don't yet know. You can help your child use this strategy in the homework. Click here for a tutorial I made last year to help parents help their children. Let me know in the comments below if you found this tutorial helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
September 25-29
¨Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for th...
-
What? That's crazy talk. Two opportunities for students to earn bonus eagle bucks ? That's right. Here's the first opportunity. ...
-
Students, Earn $7 Bonus Bucks by proving you can find our classroom's blog from home. Leave a comment with your initials and your number...
-
Star Students Join me in congratulating these seven stars. These students each earned every single possible stamp on their Responsibilit...

3 comments:
Awesome! I can teach this to my 1st grader who loves math!!! Thanks for sharing!!
I remember doing that science unit! It was so much fun! I miss that classroom
Oh sorry I'm supposed to be anonymous... Oops 😐
Post a Comment